Friday, June 5, 2009

Home Bitter-Sweet Home

Here are my thoughts for the day-

If sun bleaches hair, clothing, curtains, most fabrics and almost all colours-then why does skin get DARKER in the sun. It's a conundrum. I understand the science behind it, what with the melanin and all that (after all i am a retired tanning consultant) but the logic behind it is backwards and non-deductive.

So we moved into our new place on Tuesday. A cute little apartment with hardwood floors, big windows, small kitchen and single bedroom. A feature worth noting is the fact that there is a window in the shower. It IS frosted, but when you open it, there is nothing but the screen to keep your nudity from the world. One day when I am feeling particularly bold, I may put on a little show. lol.

We have no large pieces of furniture: No couch or desk or drawers or table or chairs....not even a TV. All of that will hopefully come on the weekend. In the meantime we are living amongst storage bins and boxes. My clothes are in a garbage bag and I spend my nights unpacking dishes and building shelves.


The drive to work is a breeze, however I ran into a bit of a blunder with parking. I was supposed to be assigned a parking space but was never contacted by the landlord so I have been parking in a perpetually vacant parking spot for the past 3 nights until I have time to call him. This morning I was met by a drunken neighbour- and when I say drunken- I mean a man in his 50's about 6'2 with a beer gut, a beard and a housecoat REEKING of booze. Most importantly, a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other (this is as 7:30 in the morning) tapping on my window and slurring "HeY! CaN YOu NOt pArK iN my pARkinG SpOT?"

I of course am shocked and can only sputter something about being given the wrong spot # and that it won't happen again in the future. I started driving away before he finished expressing his anger about the hassle of trying to find another spot...or I should say I accidentally put my car into drive and almost hit the parking divider before finding reverse and hauling my ass out of there. As I watched him shrink in my rear view mirror, I imagined him hucking his beer at the back of my car in drunken rage, but then I though ' a true alcoholic would never waste a beer to huck it at a car, they would just drown their rage- in more beer'.

I am contemplating replaying this little interaction for the landlord, but I am not sure what he'd do. Tell this tenant not to confront other tenants in the early morning while intoxicated, but to leave a message to the landlord to handle it? That would be appropriate I guess, but I would have missed out on all the excitement from the encounter.

On a more positive note, there is an adorable puppy that lives in one of the apartments in our building and we have been extended an invitation to play with him whenever we want. His name is Doc and he is a little golden retriever puppy. Anyway, more updates coming soon- stay posted loyal blog readers.


No comments: