Thursday, November 18, 2010

DON'T STEAL DEER- STEAL BEER!

I drive home while the sky is pink in November. Most people think November is depressing because it gets dark so early. I find it comforting to look at the horizon speckled with skyscrapers floating on a pink and purple canvas. There, that is my artist’s vision for the week.

So I am on a diet. Like every day of my life- I am trying to slim down before the shortbreads and turkeys and candy canes of Christmas get the better of me. On that note, can someone please remind the malls and the banks that they are in the wrong month? It is sacrilegious to put up Christmas trees on November 1st. On a similar note, can someone please tell the back-road hicks that Halloween is over and that it is no longer appropriate to have rotting pumpkins on your stoop and corpses hanging in your yard?

Anyway, as I was saying- THIS diet isn’t really a diet because I am trying to permanently alter my eating habits. I have officially cut out ‘whites’ as per the advice of my mother. No white rice, no bread, no potatoes, no white sugar treats. And of course the obvious- no pop, no cheese and no…..well ok, I CAN have most fruits and veggies (lots of raw foods) and any protein (in moderation) I desire. The result is that I am finally losing weight. Along with my vigorous workout regime I have lost 6-7 pounds in two weeks. I have brought soy patties and tofu into my diet. You would be surprised what you are willing to eat when you are hungry enough. I still eat carbs. This isn’t a fad diet. Most fruits and veggis have carbs and I am eating lots of those (at the expense of my bank account). I hate that eating healthy breaks the bank. Not to mention that you have to go shopping twice as often because perishables don’t last. They perish…lol.

And the best thing about my new ‘healthy eating’ venture is that I am not doing it alone. My partner recently picked up the annoying habit of snoring. I believe it was because he had put on more weight than his body could realistically support. He has a small frame and is 6’0 but weighed nearly 215. His most comfortable weight is around 185. So together we are working on resisting temptation and I am happy to announce he has lost about 10 pounds and has almost stopped snoring. And no cheating. Yet.

I figure it is healthy to have a ‘cheat day’ where we get to have a treat we have been craving, but not until our progress outweighs the risk of reneging. I am dying for a slice of pizza, but I will keep that as the light at the end of my tunnel.

I need a good multi-vitamin that is high quality with lots of B-vitamins….anyone know of a good brand?

Frustrating Story of the Month:

So my dad is an avid hunter. Nothing he shoots goes to waste. If you know anything about deer hunting, you would know that it takes A LOT of work to find, shoot and clean and cook a deer. There is lots of walking through the bush, lots of path making and climbing and waiting and then when you DO shoot one, you have a short period of time to gut and drain a deer to make sure the meat stays fresh and doesn’t get ‘gamey’. You also have to find a way to get the 200-250 pound deer back to the Hunt camp and then hang the deer to drain the blood for several days, so the meat gets tender.

So recently my Dad was hunting at his Hunt camp up near Bobcaygen the son of another hunter came hunting and shot his FIRST deer. It was a prize buck, probably a 10 pointer (antlers) and he was so proud, he was going to get the head stuffed and mounted. Anyway- they went to all the work to get it back to camp and hang it and then in the middle of the night a group of gutless poachers came and STOLE this poor kid’s buck. Just cut it down and dragged it off to whatever fate. One of the idiots even lost his knife that he had used to cut it down. So now all the guys at the camp have no deer to show for all their effort. And the cost of a tag for a buck can cost over $100.00 and you normally only get ONE. So if you hear any stories about jerks that steal deer from hardworking hunters- REPORT THEM!

No comments: