Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rotten & Frozen Fruit Makes Good Drinkin!

So the Canadian Ice Wine Festival was this past weekend in Niagra On The Lake. You pay $30.00 for six tickets that you can use at 6 different wineries. For each ticket you get a gulp (literally a tiny lining to your glass) of ice wine and a food pairing. Most wineries took the 'savory route' and paired food like a spring roll, cheese fondue, pulled pork. But some decided to pair cupcakes and short bread. By the end of the tour, you are buzzing, broke and sugar rushing. You also develop a taste for the sickly sweet nectar of over ripe and winter kissed grapes. They treat this stuff like liquid gold. They charge anywhere between $30-200 per bottle. I did buy one of the cheaper bottles. It was cheap because the sweetness is SO intense it is almost undrinkable ha ha. Ice wines range from a level 10 sweetness level (which is rare and more common in 'late harvest' wines, which taste a lot like ice wine, but doesn't go through the rigorous treatment of other ice wines. And they go up to a 29 sweetness level. Think Ambrosia. In the days of watching Zena and Hercules I remember that the description of the food of the gods as being a pinkish-red sweet nectar-food that was more desirable than sex. A level 29 Sweetness would make your head explode. Most of the ice wines I tried were a 22. That was enough. The one I bought because it was so reasonably priced is a 28. I am worried it might kill me.

I also bought a necklace with a tiny cluster of crystal grapes. It was so pretty, I couldn't resist. Stuart says women are like fish and that they are attracted to things that are dangly and sparkly. It might be true.

I am still trying to work through all the issues that my bad luck has brought lately. My car is still being a little finicky- deciding it won't start certain days and that it will run fine on others. I am also trying to get the credit card fraud off my statement. $70.00 in crap charges because I am a moron and entered my credit card info thinking I would get a great deal. Joke's on me.

I am really trying to get back into shape for Jordana's wedding. I work out almost every day and have been eating better. But it is always slow to start. I read while working out so I will include a little review of what I have been reading lately:

The Night World Books by L.J. Smith have kept my interest somewhat. They are a reminiscent of Sherrilyn Kenyon's 'Dark Hunter Series'. The similarities stem from the idea that there is a world existing underneath conscious human realm. That there are things going on that humans will never see or become aware of. The Night world also focuses on the concept that for every dark and supposed evil creature, there is a soul mate for them that has the ability to tame their dark side. Each Night World book has 3 stories with 3 different characters that are somehow connected to one another, either by blood or association. Almost as if each book is its' own trilogy. So far I have read 3 of these '3 in 1' books and the interesting thing is that the more you read, the more the Night world is painted before you. You get a deeper understanding of the characters you have already read about by meeting new characters.


Thirst No.1 & 2 by Christopher Pike was originally released in the 1990's but was a series of 6 small books. It has recently (this year) been re-released into
two larger books due to the Twilight-made demand for more vampire fiction. These are definitely more adult fiction then most of what I have read so far.
There is no shortage of descriptive blood and gore and these books are less like teenage romance and more like the historical and nostalgic teachings of a 5000 year old vampire. It has elements of history, religion, violence and sadness. There is no Edward Cullen to bewitch you, but you WILL be bewitched the by Sita, our ancient vampire with memories of heartache and inspiration. As a reader, you follow her through her wins and losses and experience the danger she faces as she tried to protect the world from the evil her blood could bring.

Anyway, that is all I have for now. Stay posted for more reviews and gab.







No comments: